Thursday, August 09, 2007

Summer Readings


Summer reading is required where I teach. Most everyone complains, so I try to pick books that are interesting. I know the eighth graders wouldn't agree, but there selection is to get them in the mind set of what lies ahead in high school.

I had a great summer reading lists, especially since I was able, for the most part, to choose my own. Two books, The Missing by Chris Mooney and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, were my book club pics, but since I had choose The Missing and had already bought The Thirteenth Tale before it was picked by my club, I knew I would like them, and I was right! Although The Missing reminded me too much of Kiss the Girls, I couldn't put it down! I started it at night before I went to bed. At 2:00 A.M. I made myself put it down, but once I woke up, I finished it off. The Thirteenth Tale I read twice. I read it at the beginning of July, but since I was hosting the meeting in August, I wanted the characters and plot to be fresh on my mind. It, too, was one I highly recommend.

I have waited for the seventh Harry Potter with baited breath, and it was by far the best one. I kept hoping that J.K. Rowling would continue, maybe have Harry become a professor, but sad to say the story line is over. However, since so much time has passed since I picked up the first book, I had forgotten some details. So, I started re-reading Harry Potter. I'm now reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

When I traveled to Gettysburg this summer, I picked up a book, which was a diary of a girl living in Gettysburg at the time of the battle. First hand accounts seem to bring a touch of humanity to the story.

Speaking of first hand acconts, I finally read Night by Elie Wiesel. There is a section that is so...I can't think of an adjective that'll do it justice. He's questioning the existence of God. I cried. If I'm still coaching Oral Interp. next year, I'm going to have the person memorize and recite it. It is so powerful.

On a lighter note, I read my first Stephanie Plum (she's the character) novel entitled One for the Money. It, too, was a quick read and FUNNY! I'm looking forward to reading the others.

I Feel Sorry for My Neck was another hilarious book about growing older. When I read the section about how the neck really tells a woman's age and if you haven't done anything by the age of 43 it's too late, I was jumping out of bed and lathering the lotion on!! On thing I felt good about - I don't carry one of those purses that can sneak out a seven-course meal!

I had a busy summer, but I was sure to make time for myself and read. I still didn't get all the books read that I wanted, but I put a fairly good size dent in my list.

And just think, this doesn't count the three books on tape!








2 comments:

Rainy Days said...

Yes, I have started to read the Harry Potter series over again. I really dont no what i am going to do now that it is over. It was acually the only book series I like.

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?