Saturday, October 14, 2006

Giving Generously

I am a member of a handbell choir. It's relatively new (one year), and even though I have forgotten how to read music (but I was once a second-chair clarinet player, I really enjoy it. I mark my notes (I'm the A and B bass notes) and manage to effectively play all the measures during rehearsal, only goofing a few during an actual performance. But I digress...

Over a month ago after bell practice, one lady informed all of us that we were hosting a wedding reception. One of our recently graduating seniors was getting married. After the "whose buying what" was finalized, I agreed to the cheese, grape, and cracker plates. After paying $33 for the cheese alone, the week before I was instructed to "cut the grapes into small bundles." Afterall, it would be easier to pick up a small bundle rather than pull grapes off a stem. So that Saturday morning, while I was snipping way, I became a little snippy myself. In addition to the food items, I had also bought a $40 gift card. Here I was, taking my preciously anticipated time off to "snip grapes into bundles" to decoratively arrange with the three different kinds of cheese cubes and crackers for a young girl who didn't know me from Adam. The boy, who was a member of the church, had barely ever spoken to me. The more I thought about it, the more indignant I became. Why do I do these things? Why do I agree to do things that I don't want to do? Simple, I don't want to look like a heel. So while I was on the phone with my mother and acting like a P.A.M. (pissing and moaning), it occurred to me I was in the same boat in 1984. For my wedding reception, friends of my soon-to-be-in-laws where helping cook the pig for the barbecue, preparing the side dishes, and everything else that goes into a Texas barbecue. I didn't know them from Adam either, and they only knew me as their friend's son's fiance, but they did it because they were generous.

Eating crow is like eating Brussels sprouts...We don't like to eat it, but every once in awhile it's good for us.

I went to a meeting this morning ADAMANT that I wasn't going to leave as the president for the 2007 year. Guess what, I'm president. It's true. I looked around at the women there (I'm the youngest at 42 - most are either pushing 70 or are on their way to 80) and I thought, "The younger crew has got to step up." We forget (or don't want to remember) that these people are not going to be around forever. So after some adjustments were made, I agreed to the job, and the secretary, who also came in with the attitude that she wasn't going to be secretary, agreed to the position for next year. And, of course, after it was decided, all the ladies told me to call on them if I needed help. Maybe it's just having the title that turns them off, but I know I can delegate away and they'll oblige without hesitation because they have the right spirit of giving.

Having them supporting me and being wonderful role models, I know I will have no problems. I just have to remember not to spread myself too thin. I'd rather do a few things well than many things poorly. I also have to remember that when I volunteer to do something, I have to do it for the right reason - because it makes my spirit happy.

No comments: