Thursday, October 19, 2006

Spellbound

I've never really understood people who don't like to read, even children and teens today. To have a rainy day outside, snuggled on the couch with a good book (in the winter time with a fire is even better), what more is there to want?

This past summer a friend asked if I would be interested in joining a book club. I jumped at the chance. Since both our husbands rope three times a week, we wanted some sort of "club thing." Our first meeting, to pick books, was attended by six people. Our second meeting had twelve! Since no one had been in a book club before, it was a little like the blind leading the blind, but we all had a good time and were ready for our next "assignment."

Also at our second meeting we decided we needed a name. Book Babes and Literary Ladies sounded lame, but when one member said, "Oh, you'll probably think this is corny...Spellbound," that's what we were indeed, and hence, we had a name!

Another reason why I'm grateful for this club is that it gets me reading during the school year. Usually, I don't have time (or so that's the excuse I made), but now I'm making time. And why shouldn't we make time for activities that we enjoy? Also, being in a book club has gotten me out of my preference rut. I'm exploring new areas that I would have overlooked before and missed a great read!

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen are the two we've read so far, and I recommend both, especially Gruen's.

Enjoy! May you become Spellbound, too!

No comments: