Thursday, December 07, 2006

Controlled Chaos




I like the word chaos; although it's not an onomatopoeic word, it just sounds confusing. I especially like one of the definitions (found in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary) that states, "A state of things in which chance is supreme." When students ask me if I'll get something graded, I can say, "There's a chance I'll get to it."
I also think the term Controlled Chaos is a fabulous oxymoron. Most people want to believe they're in control when the fact of the matter is that they aren't. Other times it's just plain old procrastination. Finally I just have to break down and admit, "My desk is out of control!!" I can stand clutter for a bit, but then that anal trait (that would be the second definition in Webster's Ninth) kicks in and I have to get things organized.

I think, too, that there are times I work better under stress, but one would think I have enough teaching middle school students. Maybe the sense of "catching up" is more fulfilling than "staying on top of things."

So with that, I'll sign off and get busy grading papers!

I also have a yearbook deadline coming up next week, too. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Ick. I don't like either "catching up" or "staying on top of things".

I prefer to have it all done. *smile*

However, the life I lead...it's impossible. :)