Saturday, December 02, 2006

Dancing at Funerals

This afternoon I attended a memorial service of a woman I had just met once. She was the mother of one of my sixth graders, who had recently moved to the area from Ireland.

The few funerals I've attended have been rather solemn; a contradiction, in my opinion, of what a funeral should be. As Christians, haven't we been told that Jesus has prepared for us a home? Aren't we told that the spirit will return to God who gave it? Shouldn't we be happy? Of course we're not, because as humans, we tend to be selfish and want our loved ones here with us. I guess it's just our nature.

I've attended one black funeral and left thinking, "Now that's the way it should be!" Granted, it was long, but who cared?

The one I attended today wasn't a black funeral, but it was the second time I left thinking, "Now that's the way it should be!" It was long, too - three hours, but who cared? It was a celebration of life! What I also thought was great was that time was set aside to allow people to come up and speak in memory of this lady. I told the husband I was a bit envious that I didn't get the chance to really know his wife, but I was reminded that since I teach her son, I do know her. At this particular church, they dance, and because this woman just loved this part of the worship service, the husband thought it would be fitting if everyone danced (and his children all agreed). So the song "Spirit in the Sky" came on over the loud speakers, and the church's congregation got up and started to do the Electric Slide. I was right there among them, celebrating a life and celebrating God.

Dancing at a funeral. Whoever would have thought.......I want people to dance at mine, too, and celebrate!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That is so neat, I love that. What an experience. When my Papa died in 2000, I was sad, but full of hope and joy, knowing he was in Heaven. There is still that empty place, but I always imagine him dancing with Jesus up there. Because, after all, Heaven is what it's all about anyway, right?